The 2012 Corvette Z06 is available at your dealer showroom now, and of course, you want to know what's new for '12. Here's a compilation of all the changes to help you with your shopping and wish list:
What's Different About the 2012 Corvette Z06?
The 2012 Corvette Z06 also represents an evolutionary change from 2011, with just a few feature and option changes. Chevy sources tell us that there will be big news coming out this year, and that news will almost certainly be about the new C7 revision of the Corvette line.
The Z06 is the biggest, baddest, and fastest normally-aspirated Corvette in the lineup - second only to the supercharged ZR1. New for 2012, Chevrolet will again elevate the Corvette Z06 performance capabilities with a series of improvements that increase on-track performance and interior refinement.
The Corvette Z06 is a fixed-roof coupe dual-purpose sports car equally adept at daily driving or weekend excursions on the track. Its racing-inspired powertrain and suspension features, along with an aluminum frame and carbon fiber fenders and floor panels, contribute to a curb weight of only 3,199 pounds (1,451 kg), making it the lightest, best-balanced Corvette model and one of the most svelte supercars on the market.
2012 Corvette Z06 Features
The following features define the 2012 Corvette Z06:
- Fixed-roof body style optimizes body rigidity and mass; offered in three trim levels - 1LZ, 2LZ and 3LZ.
- Wide front fascia with a large, forward-facing grille opening, a splitter along the bottom and wheel opening extensions along the sides to provide aerodynamic downforce.
- Cold-air scoop in front of the hood that integrates an air inlet system for the engine.
- Wide carbon fiber front fenders and carbon fiber floor panels.
- Wide rear fenders with flares cover the massive rear tires and a brake cooling scoop in front of the wheels visually balances the fender extractor.
- Ten-spoke spider-design wheels (18-inch front; 19-inch rear).
- Four large stainless steel exhaust outlets.
- Z06 badging on the carbon-fiber front fenders.
- High-intensity discharge headlamps.
- Optional carbon fiber hood and "CFZ" carbon fiber package, with carbon fiber roof, rocker extensions, front splitter and ZR1-style rear spoiler.
- Optional Bose Premium audio system includes nine speakers (vs. seven in 2011), including new tweeters located in the instrument panel and improve Bose Nd next-generation bass performance.
- Optional onboard navigation system with voice recognition is included with 2LZ and 3LZ models. It is a DVD-based system that uses a 6.5-inch (165 mm) color touch-screen display.
- Optional Heads-up display is available on 2LZ and 3LZ models and includes Track Mode with g-meter.
505 Horsepower LS7 Engine and 6-Speed Transmission
The racing-inspired Corvette Z06 is equipped with the 505-horsepower (377 kW) LS7 7.0L (427 cubic inches) engine and built on a lightweight chassis.
The 2012 Corvette Z06 is offered only with a six-speed manual transmission - automatic not available - that is strengthened for the LS7's torque and incorporates a pump that sends transmission fluid to the front radiator for cooling. Upon its return, the fluid removes additional heat from the differential lube before returning to the transmission. A single-mass flywheel and lightweight, high-capacity clutch channel torque to the rear transaxle, with a limited-slip differential using enlarged ring and pinion gears.
The 2012 Z06 offers 0-60 performance of 3.7 seconds in first gear, quarter-mile times of 11.7 seconds at 125 mph and a top speed of 198 mph.
For a truly intimate and unique experience, customers who opt for the Corvette Engine Build Experience (option code PBC) can participate in the assembly of their engine at the General Motors Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.
Z06 Chassis and Suspension
Z06 capability is enhanced for 2012, with upgrades and new features for the available Z07 performance package, highlighted by new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Zero Pressure tires. When combined with new-for-2012 Performance Traction Management (PTM) technology - which manages torque delivery for maximum performance - the tires are expected to help set new benchmarks for Corvette performance. Engineers estimate an 8-percent gain in maximum lateral acceleration, to more than 1.1g, and improved braking distance. The enhanced Z07 package's effectiveness was demonstrated with a new lap time of 7:22.7 around Germany's legendary Nürburgring, making it one of the fastest production cars to circle the famous track.
Corvette Z06 Options
2012 options available for the Z06 include a carbon fiber hood, a new Bose Premium audio system with nine speakers, and brake calipers offered in yellow, silver and gray (red calipers are standard on the Z06.) Corvette Z06 also celebrates Chevrolet's performance heritage with the optional 2012 Chevrolet Centennial Edition Corvette, which features a sleek black color scheme, unique design elements and Corvette's sports car technology. The special package is inspired by Chevrolet's racing-bred foundation and is offered on all Corvette models for 2012.
2012 Chevy Centennial Edition Corvette Z06
The following features define the 2012 Corvette Z06 Centennial Edition:
- Carbon Flash Metallic black paint with satin-black graphics
- Special badges that signify Chevrolet's racing history, including a graphic logo featuring an image of Louis Chevrolet on the B-pillars, the wheel center caps and the center of the steering wheel.
- The historic Corvette crossed flags badge contains a small adaptation, with "100" in place of the traditional fleur-de-lis symbol, only for the Centennial Edition.
- Unique Centennial Satin Black wheels, sized specifically to the respective Corvette models, including 18-inch/19-inch for Coupe, Convertible and Grand Sport; and 19-inch/20-inch for Z06 and ZR1.
- Red brake calipers.
- Magnetic Selective Ride Control is standard.
- Ebony leather-wrapped instrument panel and doors complimented by red stitching also on the steering wheel, seats, console and shifter.
- The seats feature microfiber suede accents on seats, steering wheel, shifter and armrests, which were first used on the 2011 Z06 Carbon Limited Edition.
- Seat headrests carry an embossed centennial logo.
- Available on all Corvette models via order code ZLC.
2012 Corvette Z06 Technical Specifications
two-door hatchback coupe with fixed roof; rear-wheel drive
Construction: composite and carbon-fiber body panels, hydroformed aluminum frame with aluminum and magnesium structural and chassis components
Engine: 7.0L V-8 LS7 (Z06)
Displacement (cu in / cc): 427 / 7008
Bore & stroke (in / mm): 4.125 x 4 / 104.8 x 101.6
Block and Head material: cast aluminum
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Horsepower (hp / kW @ rpm): 505 / 377 @ 6300*
Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ rpm): 470 / 637 @ 4800*
Recommended fuel: premium required
EPA estimated fuel economy (city / hwy): 15 / 24 (manual)
Transmission: six-speed manual
Traction control: electronic traction control; Active Handling
Brakes: front and rear power-assisted disc with ABS with six-piston front and four-piston rear calipers, cross-drilled rotors; ceramic rotors w/ Z07 pkg.
front: 18-inch x 9.5-inch (std); 19-inch x 10-inch (w/ Z07 pkg.)
rear: 19-inch x 12-inch (std); 20-inch x 12-inch (w/ Z07 pkg.)
front: 275/35ZR18 (std.); 285/30ZR19 (w/ Z07 pkg.)
rear: 325/30ZR19 (std.); 335/25ZR20 (w/ Z07 pkg.)
Curb weight (lb / kg): 3199 / 1451
Weight distribution (% front / rear): 50 / 50 (Z06)